How to Start a Corn Maze: Resources
Are you interested in starting a corn maze operation? Or you are looking for information to help manage your operation better? The information below ought to be of great value to you!
Here are some of the U-pick-specific resources I've found on the internet:
Companies that sell maze designs and/or GPS maze-cutting software
Maize - from their website:
Email: email@example.com or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We provide 1. A custom design for your maze
2. Access to our "cutting team" or a video that trains you how to cut the maze yourself
3. Your own web page on www.cornfieldmaze.com (13+ million hits annually)
4. Territorial rights (The MAiZE cannot compete in your area)
5. Shared knowledge & networking with other MAiZE owners (access to online chat room)
6. Access to elementary curriculum materials for field trip program
7. Invitation to annual MAiZE conference with other site owners
8. Monthly updates and annual newsletter/survey results
9. Potential funds/materials from any national sponsorship that are secured
10. The MAiZE LLC Training Guide containing valuable information, such as:
site selection tips, budget, maze creation techniques, farming techniques, operational logistics, legal/liability information, recommended layout of facilities, strategic marketing plan, samples of marketing materials, employee training guide, contact list (i.e., suppliers, media, souvenir vendors), and calendar of operations
Farms - from their website:
Email: email@example.com. Maze Design Kits - Do-It-Yourself Professional Mazes For Farmers, Agri-Tourism Consultants, and Agri-Businesses. With the right combination of software, hardware and GPS you can create your own professional corn maze and save time and money. The Martens Farms Maze Design Kit enables you to make mazes in cornfields, wildflowers, bamboo or other crops as well as with hedges, straw bales, fences, walls and more. Martens Farms also provides individual assistance to help you use the system to create your first maze. Software, GPS Receiver and Training to Create Your Own Cornfield Mazes. The Martens Farms Corn Maze Design Kits include everything you need to design and create mazes from corn fields - or any type of field for that matter. With these systems you can draw, trace or import your desired maze design, then use the included GPS receiver to cut that design out of your corn field or mark the paths to create. We can also help you assemble your own custom maze toolkit by adding to precision farming equipment you already own.
There is little substantial information provided on their website. They say contact them for information.
- from their website:
Email: NewtownGraphics@verizon.net. Affordable Corn Maze Designs since 1989. Expanded Service Area Includes:PA, NJ, NY, MD, DE, CT, OH, VT, NH, ME, VA, WV, MA, NC. Newtown Graphics designs corn mazes at very reasonable cost. Unlike the $5,000 to $10,000 many maze designers charge, most of our mazes are under $1,900. For current customers, we are now using a GPS design system that eliminates the need to place stakes in your field. No more long hours measuring and placing stakes. About Our Service:
All we need to provide you with a quote is the location of your field and the planned size of your maze. There are no additional charges later.
- from their website:
Contact form: click here. Corn Maze Cutting Utilizing GPS Technology.
* Skilled use of technology in every corn maze detail
* No commission or long-term corn maze contracts
* Major time savings over building your own corn mazes
* Utmost professionalism with every corn maze we build
If you're looking to develop an exciting and profitable attraction in your area, a corn maze just might be the right move. And if you choose that path, your next move should be using Precision Mazes for that corn maze. With completely customized services, incredible attention to every corn maze design and build detail, and the latest in satellite technology at our fingertips, Precision Mazes is ready to help make your cornfield maze a complete success.
How to start a corn maze or other gri-entertainment operation
- Find your county extension agent's office
- TV, Radio, Magazine and Newspaper Stories About or Including Pick-Your-Own
- Agriculture.com's guide
- Liability and insurance issues and management
- Unique Niches: Agritourism in Britain and New England (a publication)
- Commercial strawberry production guide
Supplies and management services
- Water Management and crop enhancements - M&D Enterprises has a water management program which they say will increase the efficiency of water. Reduce runoff which will reduce erosion, increase effectiveness of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers, elimination of dry spots on lawns, pastures, crop fields, and alfalfa. Seed treatment for germination and root growth. A liquid micronutritional fertilizer supplement to help maximize crop yield.
- Looking for crates or bins to ship your pumpkins?
- This company (not affiliated with us) sells them.
Growing Tips for Corn Mazes
- Using leaves to improve oil and crop quality, while improving the experience for customers - at no cost
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- American Society of Agronomy
- California Certified Organic Farmers
- California Farmers Union
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
- Ecological Farming Association
- National Corn Growers Association
- The Heartland Conference
More research for farmers
- Small Farm Program Farm Advisor Web Sites
- Online Newsletters and Free Research Publications
- Specialty Crop Profiles
- ANR Publications, University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Postharvest Technology Research and Information Center Produce Facts
Publications, Factsheets, Infosheets
Organizations in the states and Canadian provinces that are interested in berries, small fruit, etc.
General - United States
Fresh Produce Association of the Americas
Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers' Association
Michigan State Horticultural Society
Minnesota Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
New England Produce Council
Northwest Horticultural Council
Texas Produce Association
United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Association
Washington State Horticultural Association
General - International
Cornell Fruit Resources - Your gateway to information at Cornell University, the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station & related programs.
http://www.hightunnels.org -- This website is part of a USDA-sponsored project that is testing and promoting high tunnel systems in the Central Great Plains.
National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service http://www.attra.ncat.org/horticultural.html
New England Small Farm Institute -- A private non-profit organization supporting beginning farmers and sustainable small scale agriculture throughout New England.